11 February 2007

Summarizing the Iran debate

Larry Hamelin has given my commentary on his response to my Iran posting greater prominence on his site in the form of a posting of its own. My original posting is here; his response to it, which prompted my comments, is here; his original posting which started the discussion is here.; his further objections to my position are set forth here.

Hamelin's site first attracted my attention for its postings on atheism and transhumanism, which I think he does a very good job of defending. I find what I consider his rather hard-left politics considerably less appealing. I think his approach to questions such as the Iranian nuclear threat is far too fixated on abstract "moral" algorithms rooted in some unreal Platonic universe, and blind to the pragmatic considerations necessary to deal with the real world. Yet I have to say that he is one of the most ethical debaters I've seen on the internet, always going out of his way to treat opposing views fairly.

Update: Here's one last exchange. But that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Larry Hamelin said...

If two people always agree, one of them is unnecessary.

11 February, 2007 12:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think his approach to questions such as the Iranian nuclear threat is far too fixated on abstract "moral" algorithms rooted in some unreal Platonic universe, and blind to the pragmatic considerations necessary to deal with the real world.

In short, he forgot to read Hobbes. ;)

C U on teh wheel™ :)

11 February, 2007 12:30  
Blogger Larry Hamelin said...

Just because I don't agree with Hobbes doesn't mean I haven't read him.

11 February, 2007 13:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home