03 October 2008

The perils of Palin

As best I can tell so soon after the fact, a consensus seems to be emerging that Palin did fairly well at yesterday's debate. This bears out the view that, when she's not being over-handled and over-scripted into robotitude by "professionals" or ambushed by hostile interviewers who deliberately edit her responses to make her look bad, she is a substantial asset to McCain.

The she's-an-airhead narrative never was very plausible. You don't win a nomination for governor against a sitting governor of your own party, and then rack up 80%-90% approval ratings while in office, by being an airhead. As I've said before, it's dangerous to underestimate one's opponent.

Perhaps inspired by Sandra Bernhard, self-proclaimed "sexpert" Susie Bright publicly fantasizes about kidnapping and sexually assaulting Palin, and throws in the hoary old paying-for-rape-kits story for good measure. Strikingly, of over 100 comments, every single one is hostile to Bright except for one loyalist whose grasp of reality is illustrated by the claim that "even if it was absolutely false, it would be still true" (and even that one might be a parody, I can't tell).

There are, it seems, certain risks to being Sarah Palin (or even resembling her).

32 days left to the election.....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just finished watching the vice presidential debate on the net. She's good, you were right about that! But, how much real substance is in there, I wonder? I tend to feel sympathetic toward her because I'm in the same boat, sorta. I mean going into something political that I have no experience with.

But, "Oh Golly, Gee Wizz" I don't like her worldview. When she talked about Ronald Reagen & his vision of the "Shining City on the Hill" & then went into the "not perfect but noble ideals (I'm paraphrasing here) of America"...that was creepy & smacked of RELIGION. Also, she totally flubbed when Biden talked about his own experience with parenting & his personal tragedy. She was NOT prepared for that. That was not in her notes, I guess.

Interesting debate. 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other, as they say.
It's true Joe Biden wins on his experience, Sarah Palin wins on being folksy.

03 October, 2008 10:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I just remembered, we've both been involved in the "Assembly Of God, church ", except I'm no longer in involved in it.
Hmmm

03 October, 2008 10:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home