29 March 2009

Anniversary of a good move

Today marks two years since the day I left the job I'd held for four and a half years. I won't deny that it was a leap into the unknown, but even then I felt confident I was doing the right thing.

Even so, it's remarkable how well things have worked out. Despite having given up my stable source of income, I was still able to do the traveling I'd been planning, and I found a new job within weeks of returning to the US. I'm still there, and it's still miles better than the job I quit. It's scary to think that, if I'd been a little less willing to take a risk, I might still be at the old place right now.

I remember that there were people there who hated it as much as I did (pretty much everyone hated it) but wouldn't even consider leaving because they feared they wouldn't find anything better. For all I know, those people still are there right now. Their caution was understandable; unlike me, they had families to support. But I'd never advise anyone to put up with abusive and incompetent management or an otherwise intolerable work situation. There is always something better. Yes, I know the economy stinks right now, but that will pass. And even now, people are finding jobs.

Even at those times when things get tough at the current job, all I have to do is think to myself: Yes, but I'm not back there. And that puts it in perspective.

6 Comments:

Anonymous rita said...

Except for a few exceptions, I could match you word for word & insert "marriage" in place of "job." & yes people are finding jobs right now & even jobs they like.

I'm glad you're happy with your job.

30 March, 2009 20:52  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks. True, this applies to other situations besides jobs. A person in any kind of genuinely bad situation probably has a better chance of finding a better one than he thinks.

31 March, 2009 04:16  
Blogger 50 said...

I left a job that I hated for a variety of reasons and am currently looking for new employment. It's nice to read a positive story from someone who was in a similar situation. Congrats on your gutsy move and positive outlook!

31 March, 2009 10:41  
Anonymous Blurber said...

It's great that things have worked out for you. We all have to make decisions even though not enough information is available and sometimes we get it right.

I remember when I decided to retire, people told me that early retirees die early and just peter out. I retired 24 years ago and have since been on 25 cruises and visited 40 countries .

01 April, 2009 09:02  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks! Well, that's 30 countries ahead of me, but I hope to catch up eventually :-)

01 April, 2009 10:10  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

I can't even get out of the state of Oregon. Actually, I can't get out of Coos county. To tell the truth I seem to be stuck in Coquille. A big fish in a little pond. He he!

02 April, 2009 20:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home