31 October 2009

The accident (3)



The doctor originally told me that it would take six weeks for my hand to heal completely. Right now it's been five and a half weeks since the crash, and while there's been a lot of improvement, it's clear that it won't be back to full normal function for a while yet. The splint I've had to wear is now optional as long as I'm careful, so that's something. And there have been no more of those post-concussion headaches so far.

The above X-ray was taken about a week ago, and shows the last metacarpal bone's fracture (now partly healed) and misalignment at the bottom (permanent, but not damaging to functionality, which is why we decided against surgery to fix it). The inset at the lower right is the same area of an undamaged hand, for compari-son. I can't see the fracture in the index finger at all, but even the doctor missed it originally, so it must be hard to spot.

I can type, even for long periods sometimes, but at other times it rapidly becomes painful. And I do have a full-time job that needs doing. So blog posts will continue to be somewhat intermittent.

At least I am getting ongoing treatment. I can't even imagine how people without insurance cope with something like this.

7 Comments:

Blogger 50 said...

It sounds like you're on the mend. All the best for a speedy and complete recovery!

31 October, 2009 10:27  
Blogger Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Ah, sorry about that. Get well soon!!!

31 October, 2009 10:43  
Blogger Sue said...

nice mend job Infidel! I have a thing for mans hands, you have nice ones! :-))

31 October, 2009 10:50  
Anonymous rita said...

The one serious psychical injury I've had threw me for a loop. The pain & subsequent side effects of prescription drugs to deal w/the pain resulted in a real battle.
Hang in there!

31 October, 2009 12:22  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Sue -- Thanks -- the X-ray doesn't show how swollen it still is, but that will return to normal with time.

Rita -- The Vicodin doesn't seem to have affected my mind so far. At least, the flying purple lizard people from Neptune tell me I seem perfectly normal.:-)

31 October, 2009 16:32  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

The hand look's good! I also have a thing for men's hand's Sir ... yum,yum,(just kiiding guy...please dont send me no anthrax) But the older we get the longer the healing process as well ...your on the right track. As far as the drug's ... dont worry about it...I been doing drug's all my life...I feel fine! :)

31 October, 2009 18:20  
Anonymous rita said...

Haha!
Well, your sense of humor will stand you in good stead.

31 October, 2009 20:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home