22 May 2011

It was just an ordinary day, dumbasses


Well, May 21 has come and gone, and the world is still here, as the overwhelming majority of its population who ignored Camping's garbage knew it would be.

It has been said by many that it would be unseemly to mock the fools who believed Camping and worked themselves up into a frenzy of anticipation. They are just poor sincere deluded blah blah blah and it would be in bad taste, etc.

Sorry, but to Hell with that! Just how "deluded" do twenty-first- century human beings have to be, to not only take Camping's numerology seriously, but to stake everything on it -- wasting huge amounts of money, dividing their families, even cutting their own children's throats -- when the very book on which it was all based clearly states that no one can make such a prediction: "of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of Heaven" (Matthew 24:36)?

More to the point, End Times nutters tend to be the kind of smug, arrogant prigs who positively relish the thought of the rest of us -- the secular masses who so annoyingly ignore their rants -- being packed off to eternal torment in Hell, when they're not trying to make this world into a Hell for us. I'm no Christian; I don't love my enemies or pray for those who persecute me, and a lot of these people qualify.

Anton LaVey said, "It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." He didn't quite get it right, though. Stupidity very often is painful, it's just that the pain is suffered by people other than those committing the stupidity. The mindless arrogant certainty of faith -- belief without evidence -- has led to anti-gay bigotry, honor killings, jihad, subordination of women, campaigns against science and medicine, and, further back, to book-burnings, witch-burnings, crusades, and pogroms. Plenty of pain there, but it wasn't the perpetrators of stupidity who had to suffer it.

And so now, on one of those rare occasions where stupidity really is painful for the stupid -- yes, I mock. I gloat. I point fingers and laugh. I rub the morons' noses in the awful humiliation of their own idiocy.

They've just had an unusually blunt and immediate lesson in what belief without evidence gets you in the real world. I hope some of them will learn from it and wake up. I suspect that most of them won't -- but, for once, that's not my problem.

9 Comments:

Blogger LadyAtheist said...

I agree completely. I hope some of them realize that not only believing in Camping was stupid but believing in anything supernatural is stupid.

At least their families (if they survived) will know delusion when they see it from now on.

As the child of a schizophrenic, step-daughter of a schizophrenic, sister of a schizophrenic, and someone who has worked around many schizophrenics, I was certainly primed to see the Bible and its leaders for what they are.

22 May, 2011 07:44  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

Well said. We had in our family, for a brief moment, Jehovah Witnesses. One of these temporary relatives approached me to invest in some sort of invention of his. At the same time he was also informing us that the end times were approaching and would come in October (this all took place in June of 1991, IIFC).

I looked him in the eye and asked him why would I invest in anything if the end of the world was coming withing 4 months.

He had no answer.

I believe the JWs have predicted and then had to revise the end of the world several dozen times over their history.

22 May, 2011 07:57  
Blogger mendip said...

There's a wonderful line that Eli Wallach's character gets to say in the film, The Magnificent Seven: "If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep". It just seems appropriate when dealing with god floggers and their followers....

22 May, 2011 08:03  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Thanx for the link's here especially Infodel on the thing's folk's were doing, I didnt think it would get that fanatic, so I was wrong on that. As far as the woman attempting to kill the kid's with a boxcutter, if I was married to a women who tried that, I sware on my mother's grave I would beat the living shit out of her so bad, she would wish she was dead. I havent gotten around to viewing/ hearing any news yet, this is the first site I came to since online, just woke up and hadnt even been to my own blog ... but the other day on CNN a couple gal's were discussing this (one a journalist and the other trying to analyze the mentality) ... but they were talking aout thousand's who listen to this guy (minister I reckon) and so many of them have quit their job's even, closed account's, etc, etc (I thought that was extreme at that) ... but then, they wanted to know how you get through to these folk's and what we can do to help them?, and what if they wake up on the 22nd and dont have their job, cant pay their bill's?, etc, etc ... I thought how stupid to even worry about these people, they made their choice, if they fall, they fall ... if their strong they will get their shit back together, etc I feel the same way about them as I do about the mega bank's/ insurer's who got bailed out, after their gambling spree and losses. An ole saying of mine "Stupidity breed's in masses", the gal's on the show were concerned because of the number's of them being fairly large. I just thought this avenue of stupidity was already faded out mostly, I didnt expect this in 2011. But there is so much stupidity, not just supernatural or whatever, take for instance the stupidity of listening to politician's saying they will bring down gas prices, that's like saying that you can change the odd's on the gambling table's on the Vegas strip :)

22 May, 2011 08:50  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

LA: Yeesh, that's a lot of schizophrenia for one person to cope with. I can certainly see it would give you insights into religion.

SK: Thanks. I recall once hearing about some evangelical TV station that was selling stuff predicting the end of the world on a certain date -- and they offered a payment plan which extended beyond that date. I guess when people are gullible, they're gullible all the way.

Mendip: I've often thought that if I were a bit less ethical, I could have started some sort of mail-order cult and made a decent living that way. The marks are out there and they're going to give away their money to somebody or other -- why shouldn't it be me?

RC: Camping seems to have disappeared (maybe he got raptured?), but a lot of his followers are angry and some are even getting violent. There are some "normal" churches trying to do outreach to them -- maybe they can handle it.

There were some people who spent everything they had on ads for the cause, or quit their jobs, things like that. I expect we'll see some suicides. Devil knows what they're thinking now.

22 May, 2011 09:20  
Blogger Ahab said...

I read about the mother who cut her daughters' throats at Freakout Nation, and I was horrified. Unstable people are vulnerable to these kinds of dangerous prophesies, and hucksters should take note.

22 May, 2011 12:48  
Blogger Robert the Skeptic said...

I did read one article written by a minister who regretted these apocalyptic predictions because, when they fail, it causes more people to turn away from Christianity.

Funny, I love 'em for the same reason.

22 May, 2011 13:33  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

Dear Infidel753 and all non-theists: More reasons to stay the way we are. And believe me, this IS TRUE!

22 May, 2011 15:03  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Ahab: Camping, who has been dealing with credulous believers for decades, undoubtedly knew there were such risks. Yet he went ahead and did this anyway. A vile man.

RtS: I suspect most Christians actually find Camping and people like him an embarrassment, if not worse. I still tend to agree with your conclusion, of course.

SK: I bet it's true. Of course, I've never been religious (grew up atheist), so I have no standard of comparison, but the concept of feeling guilt about sex seems really alien and bizarre to me, and it must be a real drag for people who suffer from it.

22 May, 2011 17:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home